OkCupid vs Tinder Comparison: Best Dating App in 2023
Finding the right app can improve your chances of meeting the right person. OkCupid and Tinder are two of the most popular dating apps. Find out which of the two is most suited to your relationship and dating goals and see how they compare in terms of features and pricing.
Table of contents [ Show Hide ]
Picking the right dating app: OkCupid vs Tinder
The right dating app will be the one that most closely matches your romantic relationship preferences. Dating apps are a bit like celebrities, everyone has a favourite and an opinion. That fave could well be OkCupid, Tinder, or something else.
Online dating app recommendations
Before you pick your favourite, be sure to look at our dating app recommendations.
These are some of the leading dating apps in the match-making market. Sign-up today for free:
- Matchmaking Magic: Discover quality matches through our expert matchmaking algorithms, ensuring compatibility and shared interests.
- Casual Vibes: Embrace the freedom of casual dating while enjoying the depth of meaningful connections and shared experiences.
- Dynamic Profiles: Customize your profile to reflect your true self, showcasing your passions, hobbies, and what makes you unique.
- Interactive Messaging: Connect with potential partners through engaging chats, emojis, and flirty icebreakers to break the ice effortlessly.
- Safety & Privacy: Your data is secure, and your comfort is paramount. Luvtime prioritizes safety and discretion for all members
- Personality assessment for enhanced screening
- Global reach. Match with like-minded singles all over the world
- Smart matching finds your most compatible partners
- Meet your equal in values, lifestyle, and career ambition
- In-depth profiling and unlimited search means unlimited matching
- Match based on both taste and romantic compatibility
- Stop wasting time on vanilla dating sites
- No swiping here: Find who and what you're looking for
- Show your face only when you're ready
- Be yourself with dozens of genders and kink identities
OkCupid vs Tinder: where are they different?
Here are the most important differences and similarities between OkCupid vs Tinder.
|Who is it for?||Singles looking for a variety of relationship options, inclusive features, and diversity.||Singles looking for swipe-based online dating. Tinder caters to younger users.|
|Registration details||Fun registration with lots of situational/hypothetical questions that are great conversation starters.||Streamlined registration using Facebook, Apple, or your phone number.|
|Memberships and profiles||Millions of users with detailed profiles which can help break the ice when chatting.||Over 75 million users make Tinder a household name in online dating.|
|Premium Service||Free service includes messaging. Paid subscription adds more perks to improve experience but isn’t essential.||Free service includes messaging. Paid subscription adds benefits and extra features to improve experience.|
|Pros||Messaging and all main features are free. Search and filtering features. Detailed profiles.||Messaging and all main features are free.|
|Cons||Long profiles can make it slower to browse.||Not focused on long-term relationships or older users. No customisable search and filtering options.|
While there are some similarities between OkCupid vs Tinder, both apps approach online dating differently. Let’s have a look at what the strengths of each dating app are.
How is OkCupid better than Tinder?
OkCupid is more flexible in terms of looking through profiles than Tinder. OkCupid profiles also have more information than those on Tinder. This starts with the sign-up and profile creation process where a questionnaire helps users fill out their profile. The personality questions are an ongoing feature which helps OkCupid better determine compatibility.
OkCupid gives users fully-featured search and filtering settings to tailor how they browse through profiles. OkCupid is also proactive when it comes to inclusive sign-up options for gender and sexual preference.
OkCupid key points
These are some important things to know about OkCupid:
- OkCupid encourages users to share a lot of deeply personal details on their profiles or through question prompts. You have the option to not use your real name on your profile.
- Supports non-monogamous dating such as polyamory.
- Lets users define preferred pronouns on their profile.
How is Tinder better than OkCupid
Tinder is best known for its swipe-based profile viewing mechanic. One of the first dating services to start off as an app (not a website), Tinder disrupted the industry by stripping the dating experience down to its core question: do you like this person? Yes or no.
Unlike OkCupid, which places its emphasis on compatibility and search flexibility, Tinder is all about first impressions. You have to make a split-second decision based on a handful of profile pictures and a short bio. If you don’t decide, you just don’t get to see other profiles.
As you swipe left and right, you make your way through a stack of profiles of people who are located within the distance and age range you set. Those are the only details that truly matter when it comes to getting a date on Tinder—how old and how far your match is.
As for the rest, Tinder transfers that responsibility to the user. Tinder has added other criteria for matching—beyond age and distance—but its core strength and reputation still hinges on geolocation and first impression dynamics through swiping. This is why Tinder appeals to a younger demographic: it’s dating, gamified and polarised.
Tinder key points
Here are some important details to know about Tinder:
- More than 70% of users are men.
- Married people make up 30% of users on Tinder.
- A former Tinder executive, Whitney Wolfe Herd, went on to start Bumble.
Which dating app is cheaper? OkCupid vs Tinder
OkCupid and Tinder have different approaches to pricing. While OkCupid has a basic and premium tier, Tinder opts for three levels of pricing. Additionally with Tinder, if you are over 30 you are going to be paying higher prices to subsidise premium accounts for users under 30.
OkCupid vs Tinder price comparison (under 30s)
|OkCupid Basic||OkCupid Premium||Tinder Plus||Tinder Gold||Tinder Platinum|
|1-month||$11.99 per month||$39.99 per month||$4.99 per month||$14.99 per month||$19.99 per month|
|3-month||$7.99 per month||$26.66 per month||n/a||n/a||n/a|
|6-month||$5.99 per month||$19.99 per month||$2.50 per month||$7.50 per month||$10.00 per month|
|12-month||n/a||n/a||$1.67 per month||$5.00 per month||$6.67 per month|
Tinder’s pricing is generally much cheaper than OkCupid for users who are under 30. For example, the monthly rate for a Tinder Platinum paid plan is almost the same as the monthly price for OkCupid Basic’s 6-month package.
This means that with Tinder you are getting the flagship features for the same price as OkCupid’s entry-level paid option. However, you need to be under 30 to benefit from this deal.
OkCupid vs Tinder price comparison (over 30s)
|OkCupid Basic||OkCupid Premium||Tinder Plus||Tinder Gold||Tinder Platinum|
|1-month||$11.99 per month||$39.99 per month||$9.99 per month||$29.99 per month||$39.99 per month|
|3-month||$7.99 per month||$26.66 per month||n/a||n/a||n/a|
|6-month||$5.99 per month||$19.99 per month||$5.00 per month||$15.00 per month||$20.00 per month|
|12-month||n/a||n/a||$3.33 per month||$10.00 per month||$12.50 per month|
The pricing table for users over 30 tells a slightly different story. Tinder’s pricing increases significantly and is higher or matches OkCupid paid offers. Being over 30 on Tinder isn’t necessarily worth it.
Feature comparison: OkCupid vs Tinder
Comparing features between OkCupid vs Tinder is often a case of apples and oranges. However, both dating apps offer all the main features needed for online dating without having to pay a penny—or as Tinder puts it, “Match. Chat. Meet.”
OkCupid features: free vs paid options
OkCupid features are divided up between three options, two paid and one free. See which option fits your online dating needs best.
|Free Membership||Basic Membership||Premium Membership|
|✅ Profile creation||✅ Profile creation||✅ Profile creation|
|✅ Unlimited messaging||✅ Unlimited messaging||✅ Unlimited messaging|
|✅ Browse all profiles||✅ Browse all profiles||✅ Browse all profiles|
|✅ Send messages||✅ Send messages||✅ Send messages|
|✅ No external ads||✅ No external ads|
|✅ Unlimited likes||✅ Unlimited likes|
|✅ Unlock all intro messages||✅ Unlock all intro messages|
|✅ Set dealbreakers||✅ Set dealbreakers|
|✅ See everyone who has liked your profile|
|✅ See public answers from a profile before you answer them|
A free OkCupid account has all the necessary features to meet people online. If you upgrade to the basic paid membership, you get some valuable perks like unlimited likes and “dealbreakers” (matching requirements) to help you find better matches.
OkCupid Basic provides the best value for money if you want to get extra features in your dating app. The most expensive option, OkCupid Premium, adds the ability to see who has liked your profile as well as getting a sneak peak into other people’s answers to public questions before you put in your answer.
Tinder features: free vs paid options
Compare what you can do with each version of Tinder, free or paid, below.
|Tinder (free)||Tinder Plus||Tinder Gold||Tinder Platinum|
|✅ Profile creation||✅ Profile creation||✅ Profile creation||✅ Profile creation|
|✅ Match and chat||✅ Match and chat||✅ Match and chat||✅ Match and chat|
|✅ Unlimited likes||✅ Unlimited likes||✅ Unlimited likes|
|✅ Unlimited rewinds||✅ Unlimited rewinds||✅ Unlimited rewinds|
|✅ Tinder Passport||✅ Tinder Passport||✅ Tinder Passport|
|✅ No ads||✅ No ads||✅ No ads|
|✅ 5 weekly SuperLikes||✅ 5 weekly SuperLikes|
|✅ 1 Boost per month||✅ 1 Boost per month|
|✅ See who likes you||✅ See who likes you|
|✅ Daily top picks||✅ Daily top picks|
|✅ Message without matching|
|✅ Prioritized likes|
|✅ See Likes from the previous week|
The free version of Tinder has all the basic features you need to browse profiles, match, and chat with other users. Tinder Plus, Gold, and Platinum add features to make the online dating experience more pleasant.
Let’s take a closer look at the perks you get when paying for Tinder:
- Unlimited likes and rewinds: Tinder Plus lifts swiping limits as well as adding the ability to undo swipes if you made a mistake.
- Tinder Passport: Tinder Plus lets you swipe on profiles in a different location than the one you’re at. Great for travelers (similar to Bumble Travel Mode).
- No ads: Tinder Plus removes ads from your online dating experience.
- Complimentary SuperLikes and Boosts: Tinder Gold gives you 1 temporary boost to get more views once a month and 5 SuperLikes every week for free.
- See who likes you: This one is major. Tinder Gold saves you time by showing you who has swiped right (liked) on your profile. You then choose if you’re interested in them.
- Top picks: This Tinder Gold perk brings a more conventional online dating feature to this app. You will get curated profile recommendations from Tinder. Less swiping for you.
- Message without matching: This Tinder Platinum perk brings in another traditional dating service feature to Tinder.
- Prioritized likes: Tinder Platinum pushes your likes to the top of any user’s notifications whenever there is a match.
- See previous likes: Tinder Platinum helps you keep track of who you’ve liked by giving you access to your ‘swipe-right’ history.
Which dating app is better for you? OkCupid vs Tinder
Take a look at what each dating app has going for it as well as areas where they could be better.
OkCupid pros and cons
These are the advantages and disadvantages of the OkCupid dating app.
|✅ Key features unlocked for free users.||❌ Some users may find sign-up and profile creation tedious.|
|✅ OkCupid Basic paid plan is good value for money.||❌ You need to answer lots of questions to get the most out of OkCupid.|
|✅ 4.2 out of 5 App Store review score.|
Tinder pros and cons
These are the advantages and disadvantages of the Tinder dating app.
|✅ You can message for free once you match with someone.||❌ Significantly more men than women use Tinder.|
|✅ Household name. Millions of active users.||❌ You need to pay more to get features that come as standard on other dating sites.|
|✅ 3.8 out of 5 App Store review score. Editor’s Choice award.||❌ Older users are forced to pay higher prices.|
OkCupid vs Tinder: final thoughts
When comparing OkCupid vs Tinder, both dating apps have clear strengths. They are both well-designed and have millions of users. However, they cater to different types of users, with unique features and paid options.
OkCupid is the better option for users who like detailed profiles and customisable search functions to facilitate compatible matches as opposed to the gamified thrill of swiping left and right.
Both dating apps have everything you need to view profiles and match with people, if you’re undecided, why not try both?
OkCupid vs Tinder FAQ
You can find answers to common OkCupid vs Tinder questions below.
Is Okcupid better than Tinder?
OkCupid is better than Tinder if getting compatible matches is important to you. If you’re looking for a more casual or flexible online dating experience, then Tinder is a better fit.
Is Tinder legit?
Tinder is definitely a legitimate dating app. The dating service has been around for many years and is part of Match Group, one of the largest companies in online dating.
Which dating app will help me get married? OkCupid or Tinder
OkCupid is more likely to help you tie the knot because of its focus on compatibility before matching. That doesn’t mean you can’t find the love of your life on Tinder. As long as you’re upfront about what you’re looking for, it is possible. However, you might come across people who don’t share your relationship goals.
Which is cheaper? OkCupid vs Tinder
Tinder is generally cheaper than OkCupid for users under 30. However, if you are older, prices are comparable between OkCupid and Tinder.