Dating in NYC: Meet New York Singles
With almost 9 million people in New York City, you have excellent chances of meeting someone. Of course, it helps to know what to expect with dating in NYC.
Where can you meet other singles? What are the best dating apps and sites in New York City? Read on to learn everything you’re dying to know about what it is like to date in New York City.
Entering the dating scene in New York City is much like any other major metropolitan city. You have many options available, from a modern approach with apps and websites to the classic bar and nightclub scene.
Table of contents [ Show Hide ]
Best dating apps and sites in NYC
Many dating apps connect you with available singles in New York City. Choosing the best app is key to finding potential dates with the qualities you desire in a partner.
Filteroff offers a speed dating video option, which allows you to “meet” potential matches before meeting up in real life. Filteroff also hosts singles events in the city. It’s the perfect app for New Yorkers looking for serious relationships, which can often be a challenge when dating in NYC.
- Start video speed dating easily
- No catfishing
- Date authentic people for a higher chance of a second date
With over 10 million users and considered the number one dating site in the US, eharmony may be the one for you. The site’s detailed matchmaking questionnaire makes sure you can actually get along with your potential matches.
- Most popular dating app in the US
- 100% match assured
- Numerous positive reviews
Elite Singles is aimed at highly-educated professionals looking for serious relationships. The dating service promotes its intelligent matchmaking algorithm as the key to helping you find love. Elite Singles’ premium service aims to offer more effective profile searches, resulting in more meaningful connections.
- Meet literate singles ready for a relationship
- Numerous signups daily
- 100% match assured
SilverSingles caters to users who want to date 50+ singles. The service places a high priority on giving its users compatible matches and places a strong emphasis on social values, professional backgrounds, and religious beliefs.
- Maximum user security guaranteed
- Connect with SilverSingles users ready to mingle
- Find singles within your proximity
Zoosk is a dating platform for adults of all ages and backgrounds who are looking for either serious relationships or more casual encounters. The user-friendly site offers Smart Pick technology which takes into account the profiles you like and dislike and refines your potential matches accordingly. This removes the need for a lengthy initial questionnaire.
- Connect with your partner with our service
- Better communication features
- Give it a trial
Christian Filipina is a dating service for Christian men and women looking for friendship and serious relationships with a Christian Filipina or Filipino that can potentially lead to marriage. Based on a compatibility questionnaire, you will be assigned a staff member who will help you connect with the right person.
- 24-hour customer service
- One-on-one Romance Consultations
- 100% real users
Bars and nightclubs
If you want to bump into your future partner the old-fashioned way, it’s best to start with bars and nightclubs that set the scene. Look for dimly lit, small, and loud spots packed with people. These include (but certainly aren’t limited to):
- As Is NYC
- KazuNori (if sushi is your thing)
- Mr. Fong’s
- Mr. Purple
- Village Tavern
- Mood Ring
Where do singles in New York City meet?
These aren’t the only options for meeting that special someone. From coffee shops to comedy clubs, there’s ample opportunity to meet other singles.
Events for singles in NYC
There are thousands of possibilities for events singles dating in NYC. Singles parties and mixers bring together New York City’s most eligible singles. You can find calendars of events on Meetup and Eventbrite, but some of the popular options include:
- Holiday singles parties – including the dreaded Valentine’s Day
- Themed parties at Aqua Bar & Lounge
- Karaoke nights at Kavasultra
Don’t forget to check out the festival scene. For example, if you’re into coffee and seek somebody who shares your passion, then check out the Coffee and Tea Festival.
Speed dating events in NYC
You can also use Eventbrite to locate speed dating events if that is your kind of thing. Several places hold regular events, including:
- All Stars Bar and Grill
- Flute Champagne Bar
- The Hideaway Seaport
Speed dating is all about forming quick connections and weeding out the no-gos. Many of these events have themes, like young professionals, single parents, or specific age ranges.
Why is it difficult to date in NYC?
Let’s face it, dating anywhere is hard. So often, especially with online dating, the person on the profile doesn’t match up with the one you meet face-to-face.
One of the most challenging problems with dating in New York City comes from the sheer size and number of choices. Living in different boroughs is almost as bad as living in separate states. Lengthy commutes can pull the plug on even the most promising options.
Plus, the FOMO issue is big in New York. When you have so many options, it’s easy to wonder if you’re missing out on something better.
Oh, and let’s not forget about that little thing called ambition. If you live in NYC, there’s a good chance that you’re dedicated to a career that requires a serious level of commitment. Finding time in your busy schedule that meshes with time in somebody else’s crazy life is beyond challenging.
Tips for dating in NYC
- Try not to stray too far from your usual circle. Host a dinner party with coworkers where everyone brings somebody (or multiple singles), for instance.
- On a similar note, it’s much easier to date someone in New York who frequents similar spots as you, be it for work or a hobby.
- If you go the bar and nightclub route, stick with sites close to your home to give relationships a chance without the intense commute.
- Lower your expectations for meet-cute moments.
- Be mindful that for many people, career goals can take priority over dating in NYC.
- If you want to see someone again and they say they are busy, give them a few chances – they are probably telling the truth. However, beware of the ghosting culture in New York. It’s unfortunately quite common, as people with FOMO search for the next best thing.
Our final thoughts
Are you looking for more opportunities to learn about dating and finding the right match? Visit us and browse dating sites by the category that fits you best.