Ethiopian Singles: Find the Best Ethiopian Dating Site for You (2022)
Ethiopia is the country with the second biggest population in Africa with over 50% of people being under 25 years of age—many of them single. If you want to date in Ethiopia, it’s important to learn about its dating etiquette. Read on to learn more about Ethiopian dating and find the best Ethiopian dating site for you.
Disclaimer: This article in no way aims to perpetuate stereotypes or prejudices towards those from a specific culture. Use this guide for general insights into the Ethiopian dating culture, while keeping in mind that not all Ethiopian people follow the same attitudes or behaviors.
Table of contents [ Show Hide ]
- Best Ethiopian dating sites
- Understanding the Ethiopian dating culture
- How to meet Ethiopian singles
- Etiquette in Ethiopian dating culture
- 4 First date ideas when dating in Ethiopia
- How to act in Ethiopian dating culture: first date to relationship
- Things to keep in mind for Americans dating in Ethiopia
- Our final thoughts
- Dating culture guides
Best Ethiopian dating sites
Popular Ethiopian dating sites are Kum Neger, Jebena, Konjo, and EthopianPersonals. Popular international dating apps are iHappy and Zoosk. We also have recommendations for the best black dating sites and apps. Sign up today to meet Ethiopian singles. Find the best Ethiopian dating site for your needs:
Tinder might be the most popular dating app on the market, making it a great platform to meet people from all backgrounds. You can change your preferences on the app according to location or ethnicity.
AfroIntroductions is a great Ethiopian dating site for Americans since it encourages interracial relationships, helping to connect white or POC and BPOC singles for fun, love, and romance.
Zoosk is a good choice for an Ethiopian dating site since it’s very diverse. You can find both serious and casual relationships on the app, and there’s an option to filter matches by ethnicity.
Understanding the Ethiopian dating culture
Ethiopia shares some similarities with the Arab or Mediterranean cultures, but in the end, Ethiopian culture fails to be categorized. The dating culture of Ethiopia is vast and versatile, and is shaped by the following aspects:
Ethiopians and Eritreans both identify as “habesha”, which refers to the unique culture and people of the Ethiopian/Eritrean region, regardless of ethnicity or tribe. The habesha identity and culture are important sources of pride for many Ethiopians, as it shows how they differ from the rest of Africa. Keep this important difference in mind when dating an Ethiopian single.
Ethiopians share a strong community focus and are often dependent on their relatives and neighbors. As most Ethiopians can not rely on the government, they rely on each other for social support. They tend to live an active and healthy social life but are expected to put others before themselves and their relationship.
Men generally hold the most authority in a family and women tend to be subordinate to their husbands and fathers. Most women are expected to be hard workers at home taking care of the household and children. Some younger or more liberal couples are likely to share domestic tasks more.
How to meet Ethiopian singles
Ethiopian dating sites
Ethiopian dating apps are a good option to consider if you want to connect with Ethiopian singles worldwide. You can first get to know each other online before you decide to meet face-to-face. There are also many African dating sites on the market that you can choose from and find the best Ethiopian dating site for you.
Nightclubs and bars
Bole is considered the best area for meeting singles in Addis Ababa. Some of the best bars and nightclubs for singles are:
- Black Rose Bar
- AV at Friendship International Hotel
- Gaslight at Sheraton
- Mama’s Kitchen
- Dome at Concorde Hotel
- African Jazz Village
During the day
In Bole or Piazza you are more likely to meet locals in a relaxed environment. Cafés and restaurants are good options to connect to singles because they are generally safer. You can also head to nice shopping malls like Morning Star, Edna, Lafto, or Dembel City.
Etiquette in Ethiopian dating culture
4 etiquette tips for dating an Ethiopian man
- Be flirtatious. Ethiopian men like flirting and are drawn to flirtatious women. Some alluring eye contact and a smile can get his attention and be the start of a dating relationship.
- Play hard to get. Most Ethiopian men like challenges, so it’s ok to play it cool and let them “conquer” you. The more you come across as mysterious and hard to get, the more interesting you might appear.
- Respect his courtesy. Many Ethiopian men are naturally considerate and respectful. They will most likely treat you like a queen, as they tend to be real gentlemen—but do not take advantage of their kindness.
- Show interest. Most Ethiopians are very proud of their culture and country. Show that you respect him by familiarizing yourself with his customs. You can also show interest in his family.
4 etiquette tips for dating an Ethiopian woman
- Take it slow. Ethiopian women like to take things slow—especially the physical aspect. Be patient and take time to get to know each other before making the next move.
- Respect her tradition. Most Ethiopian women learn at an early age to manage their homes. Many women enjoy being caretakers and take this role very seriously. She might also expect you to provide for her and her family financially.
- Take care of her. Most Ethiopian women are looking for a man that can take care of them. They tend to be very loyal and you can be sure to rely on them in hard times. In return, they expect you to do the same.
- Do not be jealous. Ethiopian women are sexualized by society and are often admired outside of their community for their exotic looks. Stand by her and show that you trust her, as she probably won’t appreciate an overly jealous man.
4 First date ideas when dating in Ethiopia
- Enjoy a day out in nature. Take your date to Entoto Natural Park and explore wildlife together. The park is located around 50 minutes outside of the city and is ideal for getting to know each other in a natural setting.
- Take a romantic balloon ride. With Abyssinia Ballooning you can book a romantic ride over the city at sunset. Afterward, you can invite your date to a delicious Champaign breakfast at a local boutique hotel.
- Enjoy a night full of music. In the capital, you can go to Fendeka Azemari Bet, Yod Abyssinia, or 2000 Habesha to enjoy traditional performances with live music. Make sure you taste the local alcoholic beverage “tej”.
- Decide on a classic date night. Have a candlelight dinner followed by a good movie. Edna mall is considered one of the best places to watch a movie—and the area is full of high-quality restaurants.
How to act in Ethiopian dating culture: first date to relationship
In Ethiopia, casual dating is not common. Most singles are dating with the expectation of marriage in mind. Especially for Ethiopian women, it is common to seek a partner at a young age. Premarital sex is rarely accepted. In traditional families, arranged marriages still occur, but Ethiopian men and women generally have a say in who their prospective partners will be.
When in a relationship, you will likely become very close with your partner’s family, as the family tends to be the main support system. The approval of the family is an important step in the relationship.
Marriage represents the union of two families and is therefore considered one of the most important events in an Ethiopian’s lifetime. The woman traditionally moves into the husband’s home after marriage. Ethiopians tend to have multiple children. In urban areas, the minimum is generally four or more, and in rural areas, the number can be much higher.
Things to keep in mind for Americans dating in Ethiopia
- English is the most widely understood foreign language. Most urban Ethiopians speak Amharic, their local/ethnic language, and English.
- Rather than referring to the people, nation, or culture as “African”, try to recognize that Ethiopia is culturally distinct from the rest of Africa by using “Ethiopian”.
- Try avoiding talking about politics and the economic situation. If the topic comes up, first listen.
- Showing anger, complaining, or raising your voice can be considered impolite.
- Coffee is Ethiopia’s national drink and many times consumed as a ritual. Expect to get offered coffee wherever you go. You should keep in mind that it is impolite to refuse their offer.
- Shaking hands to welcome strangers is common. You should use your right hand or both hands. Also, during a handshake, you should make eye contact. Close friends frequently kiss one another about three times on the cheek.
- Pointing with a finger or pointing directly at a person is considered inappropriate. Furthermore, it is obscene to point at someone with the left hand.
- Public displays of affection are not common in Ethiopian dating culture.
What is dating like in Ethiopia?
Dating in Ethiopia is based on tradition and casual dating is not common. Most Ethiopians are looking for a serious commitment leading to marriage. Traditional gender rules still apply and family plays an important role in every relationship.
What are Ethiopian women known for?
Most Ethiopian women are known to be passionate, gentle, and loyal. They enjoy being cared for and take their role as mothers and wives very seriously.
What do Ethiopian women love?
Ethiopian women appreciate a man who can take care of them both emotionally and financially. Family and tradition are the most important aspects of their lives and should be highly respected.
Our final thoughts
Ethiopian dating culture is rooted in traditional values and gender roles. The majority of Ethiopian singles are looking for a serious relationship and casual hookups are not as common. You can meet Ethiopian men and women on Ethiopian dating apps and in the major cities. If you decide on dating interculturally, we recommend keeping the above-mentioned dating etiquette in mind.
Learn more about the best Ethiopian dating sites and start connecting with Ethiopian singles on one of the best online dating apps!
Dating culture guides
Find out more about what dating people from different cultures is like:
- Asian dating
- Chinese dating
- Japanese dating
- French dating
- Mexican dating
- Italian dating
- Korean dating
- Jewish dating
- Filipino dating